Page name: Tis the Season, page 1 [Logged in view]
# of watchers: 26
Winner: Elftown Photograph Competition - Tis the Season<news:Finally a Winner!>
Thank you to all that contributed!
Welcome to the next official Elftown Photograph Competition!! Finally, a contest for all you shutterbugs out there - and no drawings allowed!! Get your cameras, lenses, film and tripods ready folks because this one is for you!
This contest is closed!
Theme: Tis the Season...
Like all the great contests here, this one has a particular theme so no posting photos of your great Aunt Ethel or the neighbour's dog. This time around we want to see MORE CREATIVITY! And we are going to be a lot more picky about what we want to see in the entries.
Its the time of year when folks all over the world get into the festive mood. Christmas lights appear on houses, manorahs are pulled out and cleaned and innocent trees are hacked down to be made into Yule logs (and Christmas trees). This time around we would like to see photos of what you feel best shows the Festive Season whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or Yule! Of course, all photos must have a little explanation as to why this is a good representation of the season. ;)
Considering the magical feeling this time of year brings, the ET Photograph Competition
will be accepting photomanipulations as well. Let's see all those Christmas sprites, fairies and elves hard at work people!
1. NO STEALING PHOTOS! Photographs must be taken by Elftowners and posted here by the original photographer. Which means, no matter how much you might like a particular image on somebody's house, you are not allowed to add it here. This includes random images from the net too. TAKE YOUR OWN DARN PHOTOS DON'T STEAL THEM AND TRY TO CLAIM THEM AS YOUR OWN! That makes me angry, very angry indeed.
2. JUST ONE ENTRY THIS TIME. Sorry guys, just one entry this time around. You only get one chance at this one folks let's make it count!! Please put forth your best effort and the best quality, i.e. no coffe stained, faded Kodachrome photos from the 1960's. Any such entry will be removed. Please keep in mind that it is possible that a photograph has the same title as another one. This is not against the rules as long as the photographers' names are clear.
3. YES FOR PHOTOMANIPS! :D While this is a photograph based competition, we WILL be accepting photomanipulations for this particular contest. We want to see your photos of what best depicts the season and if you happen to catch an elf or sprite on film then let's see them! Please make sure that all material used for the manipulation is your own. Otherwise it will be removed for copyright infringement.
4. READ THE THEME! If you stick up a photo just because this is a photo competition, your entry will be removed without warning. ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT MEET THE THEME WILL BE REMOVED.
5. EXPLANATIONS ARE REQUIRED! We want to know why you think your photo is a good example of this festive season. Not only that but when and where the photo was taken is required as well.
6. SIZE LIMITATION: Since the chosen images will be featured on Main Street, all will be displayed at a maximum width of 300 pixels. If you would like to post the photo at the original size that's fine but please thumbnail it or ask someone to thumbnail it for you.
7. ALL IMAGES MUST BE UPLOADED TO ELFTOWN! Ask [Sunrose] for wiki-privs if you don't have them already: members who follow the uploading art rules and thus are not troublemakers, will be granted these privs. See advanced help for more information about privs.
8. SUBJECT MATTER: Since the winners will be featured on Mainstreet, images that depict graphic violence, pornography or other disturbing actions will not be accepted. Only photographs that fit the current theme will be allowed.
What will we be expecting? Creativity and lots of wonderful photos depicting this Festive season and possibly all the magical creatures that are associated with it.
Deadline: December 31, 2005
How to post it here:
Add your image after the last one that has been already posted. Don't forget to write its title and your user name. For example:
1. "Title" - [insert user name]
Image goes here
"Explanation, Date & Location"
Two Photographs will be chosen by the Council and the Assembly among all those presented.
The winners will receive the colored badge and the participants will receive the green version of it:
POST ENTRIES HERE::
1. "Dueling the Grinch" - [Skydancer]
I decided, considering the competition.. :D to do something a lot more "out there" and not quite so bland as santa with his list. Therefore, NEW entry. Taken and created Dec. 21, 2005
and may I say "Happy Solstice to ALL!"
2. "The Real Cookie Monster" -[Iseld]
Teacher's Christmas party in Dec. 2004,colored it on the comp so that Santa would stick out, it represents part of the history and fun of Christmas tradition.
3. "Floating Tree" - [Nocternity S.]
Floating christmas tree, with lights that constantly change color,It's already a city tradition. 12/20/2002, Rio de janeiro, brazil.
4. "Childproof Presents" - [farawaygone]
This reminds me of my childhood, The christmas bear, every year we received one for christmas and this year my son is getting his very first christmas bear as pictured here. It is a childproof Christmas because all the presents are up out of his reach this year. This was taken on 5/12/05. Lismore Australia.
5. "frosted enchantment" - [Seany.]
This picture was taken once when i was wandering my dreams... i came accross at, a scene frozen in time and surrounded by the magical feeling of a white christmas. that is why i have chosen it. :) december 2004
6.) snow has fallen-[Ihsahn]
This is at Breckenridge Colorodo, I thought it went well with the snow and the trees it was taken 12/12/2004
7. "Christmas is about love" [Jitter]
From now on Christmas will mean my engagement day to me ^_^ I got engaged to [Rochala] yesterday and the picture comes from then. I took it with a digital camera on 25/12/05
8. [DarkJenni] - Snow Kitty 2003
Sadly, this was the only thing saved from last year on my computer after it shut down. No, I did not make the snow kitty...you think I would actually have time do that? Yeah right...too cold. I don't remember the location, but there were many ice/snow sculptures.
9. [moira hawthorne] 'Please Shovel!' a humourous view of a of the whole gift giving idea
photos were taken outside my home, by myself, last winter 2004... but compiled this year 2005
10. [SashaShy] "Quiet winter" This pic was taken by me few days ago in the park near my house,we had a huge snow storm, it was fun.I luv this photo it give a very warm christmasy feeling, and reminds of the two week holuday (^_^).
11. [iippo] "Reach home for Christmas"
25th of December, my home in Finland.
12. "Roy Gratung" by [Ruby Sting]
Roy Gratung Festival is a large part of Thai culture. This picture shows the parade that starts off the festivities.
13. [Fizban] "7 ornaments a crunching"
This picture embodies my feelings towards christmas. Although this is christmas in general, I feel like my current christmas is going to be interesting and different then usual. But as a rule, I don't get my hopes up, and I don't think I will ever really like christmas. I took them on the 10th.
14."A truely blueChristmas" by: [bluefarie]
This picture was taken on December 10th by me at work while waiting for my ride to come pick me up. I then used Adobe photoshop 7 on December 19th to do the photomanipulation.
15. [Nite_Owl] "The Spoils"
Haha, well this is what I see when someone says "Christmas." There are a total of four Hershey's Kisses, a watch, and the wrapper of an Andes chocolate here--it's all about the candy, people! You can't have a good Christmas tree without the candycanes and such, or celebrate without the sweets! So...this is all I'll ever ask for and all I'll ever need on the holidays (^,^) (photo taken 12/19/05, Quartz Hill, Southern California, USA--Christmas without snow is hard to photograph heh)
16.)"The time of waiting" [Captain Rachel Black]
The Christmas season Is a time of waiting for Baby Jesus to arrive, This is an advent wreath with the first candle of prophecy, #2:The candle of Bethlehem, #3:The candle of shepards, #4:The candle of Angels and finnally the candle of christ. After all it is Christ-mas its a time to remeber how this holiday first began in a small stable in Bethlehem. photo taken (12/14/05)photo taken is the U.S. of A. somewhere in North Dakota.
17. Winter Deliberation. (Photo manip) [Urmando The Elfling]
In the Ruins of his Castle, Urmando deliberate's with his Elfs and Orc:
Urmando: "Maybe it is time to build a new Castle?"
Orc: "Yes please, this one is getting c..C..Cold!"
(Photo taken 12-20-05)
18.Annual Xmas Tree [Lakayana]
This nice Xmas tree is always kept on a corner of our sitting room every xmas season and each member of the family buys a present and drops it by the tree. On xmas day we all go to the tree and pick any present with your name on it. I once asked my Dad the meaning or why this atificial tree is always kept in our parlor every xmas but he could'nt really explain why. But anytime I see him bring this tree from the store to the parlor and decorating it with lights and gifts, I know it's Xmas season again cos that is the only time this tree is brought out. Now presently the tree is standing in a corner in our parlour meaning "Tis the season" again (The picture was taken today 21/12/2005 with my brothers digital camera and in our Sitting room in Lagos Nigeria)
19. 'Christmas Crèche' - [Kelaria]
This is the crèche given to me by a very special person in my life. I feel it's a very good representation of my feelings towards Christmas. A crèche is a three-dimensional representation of the scene at the birth of Jesus Christ. And, after all, it is Christmas. (Please do click for a larger picture, this small size does not do it justice!)
I used a sepia filter (done on the computer) for this photo and edited in the flame (since the candle hadn't been lit when I took the photo).
Taken and edited December 22nd, 2005.
20."Christmas thoughts" - [Bobolama]
The lonesome time before christmas kills me, before I can truely celebrate Christmas..
(My sister is missing here boyfriend terrible ... )
23-12-2005 , Bathroom , Some where in Holland.
DISQUALIFIED FOR VOTE SPAMMING!!Just because it doesn't say 'NO SPAMMING FOR VOTES' in the rules does not mean it is allowed.
22. 'A Smiling Front' - [Solitary Comfort]
A smiling front on a messy occasion. Isn't that what christmas really is?
Very often, for a lot of people out there, Christmas is a miserable time, a time of arguements and disapointment, as well as having to put up with those pointless visits and conversations with relatives you don't even like. But through it all they put on a 'smiling front'.
I was ill this Christmas - so forgive the lack of Christmas Spirit..
(Please note the position of the tail and the pile of poo)
Taken at home on the 24th/12/05.
23. "Psychedelic Christmas" - [Kyrinn]
Boredom with a camera in my hand is a bad thing, lol. Was taking pictures of the family and while they were busy, I was spinning in my computer chair and snapping pictures for the hell of it. this was the best one.
Taken 12/24/05 in my house.
24. "None shall pass!!" - [Lejia'n]
Our cat Spike is lurking underneath the christmastree, waiting for any foes to come up and try to grab his presents... I wonder what will happen if we try to open them tonight.......
25. 'christmas lights' [Elisha Kelly]
the lights on my christmas tree. Taken tonight the 25/12/05 at 11.30pm, on my brand new digital camera.
Whenever I see pretty flashing multicoloured lights I can't help but think of christmas... Their pretty twinkling in the dark never fails to bring a smile to my face, and a gasp of awe from my little girls :) It just wouldn't feel like christmas without them.
26. together [Ishje]
25 december 2005, christmas, for me it is all about being together sharing a few day's of happyness and joy, this picture showes both, the hands for being together and the christmastree for happyness.
27. 'Snow In The Evening' [Rice]
I was in Lapland last year, January time, the real place for Christmas. The calmness of this picture, the emotion it can not be put into words.
28. "Ice sculpture" - [merlina]
This is a picture of an ice sculpture of one of the wise men from the east. And with the christmas trees on the background it really reminds me of christmas. It's a cold season but it brings people together. I made this picture in Holland, Leiden, it was on a place with many ice sculptures. date: 27-12-05
29. "The two sides of christmas" - [-tsukasa-]
I took the 2 pictures on my trip along the west coast of canada and the U.S. The celebration one in Leavensworth and the lake in Lake Chelan national park(You should go there one time). And I think this represents the season because the season has 2 sides. You can be peacefull and one with nature and you can be jolly and celebrate. date 27-12-05 pictures taken 13-12-04 "Leavensworth" 14-12-04 "Lake Chelan national park"
30. "The Christmas Eve Tradition" by [Master Fio]
(Note: This picture looks a lot better when larger)
This was taken on christmas eve on our annual christmas light gazing stroll.
It's funny how just a short walk can get you in the christmas spirit.
I was going to use an picture of my cousins and siblings on christmas day but since it is summer here I thought it might not look very christmasy to everyone else. If you get what I mean?
31. "When all else fails" [Harmonie's mommie!]
I think this picture represents The season in two forms, Traditional, and The Breath of Life... If we celebrate a human life on this day, then Human life must play an important part in this season.. This photo wasnt messed with at all, this is how it was taken. I think it was the air rushing around the tree and across the camera lens.(note, you may have to click the link)
32. "City of Lights" [thoughtfox]
This laser show turns night into day. It is then, when every building is thriving with life, that you know that the festive season is here. Taken in Hong Kong, 21/12/2005, just after 20:00
33. "The lights of London" [shotokan_gal]
Last minute frantic shopping is a common occurrence in the days leading up to Christmas, but when rushing around the stores you can't help but know it's the season!
Taken 20/12/05, Oxford street, London.
34. "Reflections" [stuffAEAmade]
The days leading up to the new year is a time to pause and reflect on the one that has past. What better place to do so than in the pristine silence of a winter wonderland?
Taken 2005.12.30 outside my house.
35. "My Xmas Tree" [Shjahjdahdvwa]
It was a pretty sad day because me and my two sister had an argument with my parents. They went to sleep and we stayed quiet till it was 00:00. This picture was took in 25-12-2005 and the tree was the only joy of that day.
36. "New Years Eve" [Markk!]
It`s my dad, baking oil balls.. I think it`s a good shot of this season, because this year is allmost over, and when we in The Netherlands celebrate that, we make oil balls lighten fireworks and have happiness..
Taken on 32-12-05 At 12:20, in our barn
37. "Traditional Christmas" - [Leara]
I think this is a good representation of the season because it includes all, or most, of the traditional elements of Christmas. You have your tree, fake as it may be, pretty twinkling lights, presents from loved ones, and church, or course(yes, that little building is a church). I think the overall feel of the image is calming, and the lights look almost like little sprites. Taken December 24th, in my living room. :P
38. "The Christmas Puppy" - [Paz]
The present that every little kid wants for christmas, a new puppy. When a child runs down the stairs on christmas morning to see a new puppy waiting for them. Christmas also would not be the same without your loving pet beside you (for all those pet lovers) Taken after the holidays, with her christmas bow annually placed on her to celebrate not only the holidays but her birthday. It took me awhile to get her to sit down.
39. "Thee Baby's First Christmas" - [Artsieladie]
Every year I have to set up the Nativity Scene. It's not an expensive one, but then this isn't what Christmas is about! It's ALL about Thee Baby Jesus who made possible the First Christmas & EVERY ONE...thereafter! I took this picture with my daughter's new digital camera she received for Christmas. The date taken, 30/12/2005, I left in the photo. Taken in my living room as the center of my village in my home! The larger version is in my house on Elftown. :))
Happy New Years
[David the Good]
This contest is closed!
Go to or Return to:
- ET Photograph Competition
||Show these comments on your site|